This policy applies to personal information regarding clients and other individuals who do business with Peterson and its subsidiaries including Peterson Commercial Property Management Inc., Peterson Residential Property Management Inc., Peterson Investment Group, Peterson Group Properties (Canada) Inc., and the collection, use and disclosure of that information in any form, whether oral, electronic, or written. The policy also applies to personal information collected, used and disclosed by any person providing services on our behalf. As a client or person with whom we do business you understand and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We collect, use and disclose only the personal information that we need for the purposes of providing services to our clients which includes:
- Information we receive from strata corporation clients and our commercial tenants;
- Information you provide on applications or other forms, which may include your name, address, email address, contact information, gender, age, I.D. Number (e.g. drivers license), credit card number, credit records, banking information, payment records, employment and income information, business title, date of birth;
- Information collected through the use of closed circuit television systems, card key and other security systems in our buildings or buildings we manage;
- Information we acquire and/or share from other persons (such as references or employers) to verify your identity and the accuracy of the information you have provided; and
- In limited circumstances, information related to the credit of clients, including as we receive from consumer reporting agencies.
We normally collect client information directly from our clients. We may collect your information from other persons with your consent or as authorized by law.
We inform our clients, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information. The only time we don’t provide this notification is when a client volunteers information for an obvious purpose (for example, producing a credit card for payment when the information will be used only to process the payment).
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may collect, use and disclose relevant portions of your personal information for reasons including to:
- Deliver and charge for requested products and services;
- Assess suitability for tenancy;
- Contact clients about appointments;
- Follow up with clients to determine satisfaction with services;
- Notify clients of upcoming events of interest;
- Meet regulatory requirements;
- Establish and maintain communications with you;
- Create and maintain owner registers and required records for strata corporations;
- Make decisions about tenant applications – including assessing eligibility and renewal of leases;
- Respond to your inquiries about applications, accounts and other services or requests for information;
- Evaluate credit worthiness for purposes of enforcing tenant agreements;
- Receive your credit card number to process credit card payments through third party payment processing, clearing and settlement systems in association with various banks;
- Share with lenders and other professional advisors of landlord clients to assist us in completing its work as property manager;
- Provide for the safety and security of staff, clients, tenants, and other visitors; and,
- Meet legal, security, processing and regulatory requirements.
WHEN AND HOW DO WE OBTAIN YOUR CONSENT?
We ask for consent to collect, use or disclose client personal information, except in specific circumstances where collection, use or disclosure without consent is authorized or required by law. We may assume your consent in cases where you volunteer information for an obvious purpose.
In cases where we collected personal information before January 1, 2004, we assume your consent to our use and, where applicable, disclosure for the purpose for which the information was collected.
We ask for your express consent for some purposes and may not be able to provide certain services if you are unwilling to provide consent to the collection, use or disclosure of certain personal information. Where express consent is needed, we will normally ask clients to provide their consent orally (in person, by telephone), in writing (by signing a consent form, by checking a box on a form) or electronically (by clicking a button).
In cases that do not involve sensitive personal information, we may rely on “opt-out” consent. For example, we may disclose your contact information to other organizations that we believe may be of interest to you, unless you request that we do not disclose your information. You can do this by checking the appropriate box on our application form or by telephoning our local number/toll-free number.
A client may withdraw consent to the use and disclosure of personal information at any time, unless the personal information is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations. We will respect your decision, but we may not be able to provide you with certain products and services if we do not have the necessary personal information.
We may collect, use or disclose client personal information without consent only as authorized by law. For example, we do not need to request consent when the collection, use or disclosure is reasonable for an investigation or legal proceeding, to collect a debt owed to our organization, in an emergency that threatens life, health or safety, or when the personal information is from a public telephone directory.
We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of personal information to us directly, through tenancy applications, leases and renewals (including information previously provided to us);
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained within a written, verbal or electronic application; and
- Your verbal consent solicited by us for a specified purpose.
If you wish to withdraw your consent please contact the Privacy Officer at the contact information below.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use and disclose client personal information only for the purposes for which the information was collected, except as authorized by law. For example, we may use client contact information to deliver services. The law also allows us to use that contact information for the purpose of collecting a debt owed to our organization, should that be necessary.
If we wish to use or disclose your personal information for any new business purpose, we will ask for your consent.
TO WHOM DO WE PROVIDE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may disclose your personal information in appropriate and lawful circumstances. Third parties to whom we disclose information are required to keep your personal information confidential and secure and they are prohibited from using your personal information for their own purposes or from disclosing your personal information to others. Circumstances where we might make such disclosure include (in addition to the circumstances described in Section 3 above) where the information is disclosed for the following purposes:
- Credit payments and authorization: to process credit care payments through third party payment processing, clearing and settlement systems in association with various banks and to assess eligibility and credit worthiness for leases and lease renewals and tenant arrears;
- Business transfers: to provide prospective purchasers of the assets of Peterson Group with information appropriate to the potential transaction or in some circumstances, your personal information may be included as an asset in such transaction;
- Legal requirements: we reserve the right to disclose any personal information we have concerning you if we are compelled to do so by law or requested to do so by a governmental entity or if we determine it is necessary or desirable to comply with the law or to protect or defend our rights or property in accordance with applicable laws. We also reserve the right to retain personal information collected and to process such personal information to comply with accounting, tax rules and regulations and any specific record retention laws that relate to our business;
- Agents, Service Providers and Suppliers: we may contract with third parties to provide services to us, including administrative services such as archival file storage or collections;
If required or permitted to do so by law, we will disclose your personal information to third parties without obtaining your prior approval or providing you with notice thereof.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT WHEN YOU VISIT US ONLINE
You Can Browse Without Revealing Your Identity
You can always visit our websites without revealing who you are or providing any personal information.
When you visit our website, we collect usage information (i.e., the Internet Protocol address automatically assigned to your computer each time you browse the Internet, the date and time of your visit, the type of Internet browser you use and the URL of any other website that referred you to our website, and the pages you access and the amount of time you spend on each page), but that information is not linked to you as an individual unless you create a user profile. We use this information to evaluate and improve the features, client experience and functionality of our websites.
We use “cookie technology” on our websites to allow us to evaluate and improve the functionality of our websites. Cookies by themselves cannot be used to reveal your identity. They identify your browser, but not you, to our servers when you visit our websites.
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can block them by adjusting the settings on your Internet browser. However, if you block them, you will not be able to use all of the features of our websites, including the customisation features associated with creating a user profile.
Submitting Personal Information and/or Creating a User Profile
You can submit personal information and/or create a user profile on www.petersonbc.com to, among other things; facilitate your online transactions, tailor your experience on our websites, access additional information, make requests for our services. We may use the information you provide to populate other databases maintained by us and our service providers, as applicable. By submitting information or creating a user profile, you are agreeing that we may use the personal information you provide for these purposes.
You can view, update or remove any personal information that you have provided to us for inclusion in your user profile by amending your user profile online or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you subsequently elect to remove your user profile, we will have the right to use any personal information previously provided by you for inclusion in your user profile for record keeping and quality assurance purposes. Even if you choose not to create a user profile, you can still use our websites to search for and purchase services.
Links to Other Websites
If you visit www.petersonbc.com, you will have the option to be seamlessly linked to websites maintained by third parties with whom we have contracted to provide those services. If you click on a link found on our websites or on any other website, you should always look at the location bar within your browser to determine whether you have been linked to a different website. This Policy, and our responsibility, is limited to our own information collection practices. We are not responsible for, and cannot always ensure, the information collection practices or privacy policies of other websites maintained by third parties or our service providers where you submit your personal information directly to such websites. In addition, we cannot ensure the content of the websites maintained by these third parties or our service providers, even if accessible using a link from our websites. We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of any external sites before providing any personal information while accessing those sites.
The personal information we collect from you online is stored by us and/or our service providers on databases protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology and other reasonable security measures. Nevertheless, such security measures cannot prevent all loss, misuse or alteration of personal information and we are not responsible for any damages or liabilities relating to any such incidents to the fullest extent permitted by law.
HOW DO WE SAFEGUARD YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
In some cases we may ask for a written request for correction.
We protect client personal information in a manner appropriate for the sensitivity of the information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, unintended disclosure or modification of personal information, as well as any unauthorized access to personal information.
We use appropriate security measures when destroying client personal information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records.
We retain client personal information only as long as is reasonable to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected or for legal or business purposes.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE COLLECTED, UTILIZED, OR DISCLOSED?
Access may also be refused if the information is privileged or contained in mediation records. If you would like to make a request to access your personal information under the control of the Peterson Group, please complete a Privacy Access Request Form.
If we refuse a request in whole or in part, we will provide the reasons for the refusal. In some cases where exceptions to access apply, we may withhold that information and provide you with the remainder of the record.
You may make a request for access to your personal information by writing to the Privacy Officer at the contact details below. You must provide sufficient information in your request to allow us to identify the information you are seeking.
You may also request information about our use of your personal information and any disclosure of that information to persons outside our organization. For personal information collected before January 2004, if we do not have a record of disclosures, we will provide information about any disclosure of your information that is likely to have occurred.
You may also request a correction of an error or omission in your personal information. We will respond to your request within 45 calendar days, unless an extension is granted. We may charge a reasonable fee to provide information, but not to make a correction. We will advise you of any fees that may apply before beginning to process your request.
CAN THIS POLICY CHANGE?
HOW DO YOU CONTACT US REGARDING QUESTIONS, ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR TO MAKE A COMPLAINT?
If you have a question or concern about any collection, use or disclosure of personal information by Peterson Group, or about a request for access to your own personal information, please contact the Privacy Officer in the first instance by completing a Privacy Complaint Form:
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you should contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia:
PO Box 9038 Stn. Prov. Govt.
Victoria B.C. V8W 9A4
DATE LAST MODIFIED: July 30, 2013