As part of Peterson’s continued growth, we are looking to add an Associate Counsel to our in-house legal team who brings expertise in corporate and securities law. Reporting to the General Counsel, this position is responsible for providing legal services in connection with corporate structures, partnership, investment fund, regulatory, securities, financing, and general real estate matters.
The ideal candidate is a critical and rational thinker with sound judgement and will invest the time to develop an understanding of Peterson’s business drivers to effectively anticipate challenges and analyze impact. You are highly organized with the ability to multi-ask and manage priorities, shifting demands/workflow. You think in broad business terms to balance the strategic view while managing the details of execution. You handle both small and large matters with equal effectiveness and enthusiasm. The role is best suited for someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment and possesses a strong commitment to excellence and the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
- Supporting the General Counsel and business unit in all legal matters for Peterson, including lending, property management, development, income-producing properties, leasing and investments, tax, partnership and corporate matters.
- Working with responsible business units on the set up and operation of investment funds;
- Supporting responsible business units regarding Exempt Market Dealer (EMD) obligations and securities distributions to investors in compliance with legal requirements;
- Coordinating the production of client facing documents with external legal counsel, including Offer Memorandums and Subscription Agreements;
- Ensuring regulatory compliance and optimal risk management in all deals, development projects, acquisitions, dispositions, loans, and business operations;
- Assist management in the application of business judgement on all risk management and legal matters;
- Coordinating timely and effective due diligence, including an assessment of the business ethics, credibility, and capabilities of all partners;
- Assisting with negotiations and expedite resolutions in a win-win style while fostering long-standing relationships;
- Drafting standard contracts and investment agreements/precedents;
- Coordinating accurate, timely flow of documentation among all parties;
- Ensuring timely and effective coordination of each deal with other units of Peterson, as required;
- Coordinating with internally and externally to develop legal and tax structures for new acquisitions and partnerships;
- Coordinating the retention and guidance of external legal counsel, including in certain matters for litigation;
- Participating in corporate/real estate acquisition teams and managing transactions from due diligence to closing;
What You Bring
- 2+ years of experience with Law Degree in corporate/securities, commercial real estate, and/or corporate finance;
- Member of the Law Society of BC or member of Canadian Bar Association;
- Excellent communication with the ability to effectively translate legal issues into business imperatives;
- Develop and manage optimal organizational structures for a complex group of limited partnerships, corporations, and joint ventures;
- Building positive and professional relationships with a variety of people being proactive, results-oriented and resourceful in work.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Start challenging yourself today in an environment that embraces diversity and rewards innovation with competitive pay and great benefits. While we thank all candidates for their interest in joining our team, we will contact only those short-listed for an interview. Please note only Microsoft Word documents or PDF’s will be accepted. Submit your application through our online career centre.