DepartmentHead Office, Accounting
We are looking for a full-time Controller, Development to join our accounting team in Downtown Vancouver. This is an exciting new role in a growing team to manage the accounting for several development projects in our portfolio. Reporting to the Director, Accounting, the position will play a critical role in setting up processes and procedures for the team and overseeing the financial reporting for multiple development projects ensuring that all information is correct, timely and meeting all applicable deadlines.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and has 5+ years of accounting experience in a senior role preparing and reviewing financial statements for real estate development projects. This individual will have a strong understanding of development proformas, financial and cash flow modeling. This position will suit someone who is has an investigative mindset and aptitude for problem solving and strong professional work ethics.
- Overseeing all aspects of financial reporting for the development projects including the delivery of monthly, quarterly and year-end accounting procedures;
- Reviewing and approving financials as an internal quality control in accordance with the accounting principles;
- Preparing and reviewing internal and external financial reports with the management team;
- Providing timely and accurate analysis of forecasts, cashflow, financial results and operating metrics;
- Reviewing proformas and job cost reports for accuracy and performing variance analysis on changes in estimated project costs;
- Oversee monthly loan draw process for various development projects;
- Planning and coordinating the external audit and tax compliance process;
- Establishing, implementing and monitoring development accounting policies and internal controls to improve process efficiency;
- Overseeing, assigning and maintaining the flow of work within the team while providing guidance and education on best practices and efficient and effective processes; and
- Assisting management with any ad-hoc reporting or projects as requested.
What You Bring
- 5+ years of proven experience in a senior accounting role for real estate development projects;
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting or Finance;
- Completion of an Accounting designation;
- In-depth knowledge of accounting standards, practices and real estate trends;
- Understanding and experience with Yardi Job Cost Module is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office particularly with Excel;
- Understanding of development proformas, financial and cash flow modelling and working knowledge of development processes and transactions;
- An analytical and investigative mindset by proactively identifying issues and suggesting solutions or alternatives;
- Strong work ethic and the ability to perform duties in an accurate, professional and timely manner;
- Proven ability to identify and solve complex problems and successfully implement new systems/processes;
- Diligently dealing with methods of organization and detail in performing duties;
- Developing positive and professional relationships with a variety of people while practicing excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work collaboratively within a team and independently;
- Maintaining a high-level of professionalism and discretion in handling confidential information; and
- Ability to supervise and mentor junior staff on the preferred methods and processes.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Start challenging yourself today in an environment that embraces diversity and rewards innovation with competitive pay and great benefits. While we thank all candidates for their interest in joining our team, we will contact only those short-listed for an interview. Please note only Microsoft Word documents or PDF’s will be accepted. Submit your application through our online career centre.